Thursday, February 21, 2008

Why I love Western Pennsylvania

From Random Acts of Pieness to Random Acts of Kindness!

This post is already a few days old, but it's been on my mind so I thought I'd share it with Hickory. Definitely take the time to read the entire post, but here's the part that just won't leave my mind. From PittGirl:

Then this afternoon I saw a kid walking down the sidewalk … maybe 19 or so … bundled up against the wind. Head to toe black. Black hat. Black scarf over his chin. Black puffy coat. Black jeans and black boots. All you can see are his nose and his eyes.

If I’m working at a bank and this kid walks in with his hands in his pockets, I’d probably dive for the alarm button without so much of a “Can I help you, sir?”

And the kid handed the one-legged, one-armed homeless man a brown paper bag that clearly contained a sandwich. But he didn’t just hand it to him by sticking out one hand like, “Eh. I don’t want this, I guess. Here ya go. Whatever. Bye.”

He held it out with both hands, pulled his scarf down, spoke a few words to the homeless man, patted him on the shoulder and walked away. He was REALLY giving the sandwich to him and it meant something. The homeless man cradled the bag in his arm. Looked at the bag. Looked at the kid who was walking away with his hands in his pockets now. Back at the bag. The kid. The bag. And the homeless man smiled and took a slow deep breath.

And I thought, “I love Pittsburgh and I love that kid.”

It is going to come back to him ten-fold. Here’s hoping it comes back to him in cash and not so much in the form of ten sandwiches.


It's nice to be reminded from time to time that not everyone in the world sucks. Hope this little story touches you as much as it has touched me.

No comments: