Monday, March 3, 2008

I stand corrected

During a friendly Saturday night poker game, the between-hands small talk turned to the weather. Everyone had something to say...

"We don't have any snow in Belle Vernon. It just rained and rained!"

"Our hill is covered with snow, and we just can't keep up with it!"

I threw in my $0.02, commiserating about what a tough workout it was to walk the dog on the Panhandle trail with 4-6 inches of snow and ice covering the walking surface. I painted a beautiful little story about heavy rubber bottomed snow boots and trudging through the layers of frozen precip until I thought my thigh muscles would just melt right off of my skeleton.

This afternoon, I stand corrected.

It is much, much, MUCH more difficult to walk that trail when it's covered in mud and slush. Today, while treating my dog to his lunchtime walk, I engaged muscles I never really knew I had. I slipped, slided, skidded and balanced my way to the best winter workout I ever had. If you are in decent health and don't mind getting a little mud splatter on your workout gear, I highly recommend a stroll along the Panhandle trail in this weather! It sure beats another treadmill session.

No comments: